PSG's Leonardo frustrated by Argentina Messi decision
Lionel Messi was unable to feature for the Parisien giants in their latest game due to injury, so the club cannot understand the national team call.
The decision to call-up both Lionel Messi and Leandro Paredes to the Argentina national team squad has frustrated Paris Saint-Germain. On the back of this, the club’s sporting director, Leonardo, came out to question the logic behind it.
PSG’s Leonardo unhappy about Messi call-up
Speaking with French paper Le Parisien, Leonardo was clearly annoyed about his two players, both currently injured, having to travel to Argentina to train with the reigning Copa America champions.
"We don’t agree with allowing a player to go away with the national team who, for us, is not in physical condition or is in the rehabilitation phase.
You may also enjoy:
“This is not logical, and this type of situation requires us to reach an agreement with FIFA," he said.
The newspaper goes on to clarify, however, that the PSG director is not angry with his players, but is uncomfortable that the club has little power to decide whether or not its players can travel with their respective national teams.
Both Messi (knee and hamstring) and Paredes (thigh) are still recovering and are not expected to play any part of the international games coming up, but this decision means that they cannot continue their treatment in Paris. In related news, early on Monday Costa Rica's national side confirmed that PSG advised them of an injury picked up by Keylor Navas in the weekend game against Bordeaux.
Argentina play Uruguay on Saturday 13 November followed by Brazil three days later.
Recommended in English
- NFL Joe Burrow: Winning playoff games the standard to meet for the Bengals
- NFL What is Aaron Rodgers' record against the 49ers?
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid's big question: how to fit Erling Haaland and Kylian Mbappé into the same team
- US NEWS Which fast food restaurants accept EBT food stamps?
- 2022 TAX SEASON Are the tax brackets the same if I am retired?
- NFL Titans could activate RB Derrick Henry ahead of Bengals clash