Los 40 USA
Sign in to commentAPP
spainSPAINchileCHILEcolombiaCOLOMBIAusaUSAmexicoMEXICOlatin usaLATIN USAamericaAMERICA


Snow and possible flooding in California this week: Affected areas

Rain and snow will arrive in California beginning on Wednesday due to two atmospheric rivers. Here are the areas that will likely be affected.

Alerta en California por nieve y lluvia esta semana: Zonas afectadas

California could receive heavy rain and winds as well as snow in the mountains, due to a couple of atmospheric rivers of moisture starting this week until next week.

According to the National Weather Service (NWS), “a plume of moisture will move over parts of the Pacific Northwest, producing areas of light rain over the northwest this Tuesday.”

On Wednesday, a stronger plume of moisture will move over California before a front moves toward the coast Wednesday afternoon into Thursday. according to the NWS.

Here are the chances of rain in California this week

With high humidity expected to cause heavy rain, the Weather Prediction Center (WPC) has reported that there is a slight risk of excessive rainfall over parts of northern and central California on Wednesday through Thursday morning.

Meanwhile, heavy rains will create flash flooding, with urban areas, roads, small streams and burned areas being the most vulnerable. In addition, humidity will also create snow over parts of northern and central California.

READ ALSO: Brainy business via Neuralink implants

Weather forecast for California next week

According to the NWS, there is at least a 70% chance of above-normal precipitation from central and southern California and the desert southwest to the east from February 4 to 8.

Additionally, a high risk (greater than 60% chance) of heavy and dangerous precipitation is forecast for February 6 to 9 in portions of Southern California and the Southwest, with a moderate risk broader (40% to 60% chance) throughout central California, southern Nevada and Arizona from February 6 to 10.

A moderate risk (40-60% chance) of strong winds is likely to affect Southern California, the Southwest and the southern Rocky Mountains from February 6 to 9.

READ ALSO: Astronomers discover impossibly large ring of galaxies

What is an atmospheric river?

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, atmospheric rivers are “relatively long, narrow regions in the atmosphere, like rivers in the sky, that carry most of the vapor of water outside the tropics.”

These vapor columns move with the weather and transport an amount of water vapor roughly equivalent to the average flow of water at the mouth of the Mississippi River. When atmospheric rivers make landfall, they often release this water vapor as rain or snow.