NewslettersSign inAPP
spainSPAINargentinaARGENTINAchileCHILEcolombiaCOLOMBIAusaUSAmexicoMEXICOperuPERUlatin usaLATIN USAamericaAMERICA

BOXING

Saúl Canelo Álvarez maintains he’s in the prime of his career

The Mexican superstar suffered his second-career defeat against Dmitry Bivol but he claims to bounce back in a trilogy fight against Gennady Golovkin.

Update:
NEW YORK, NEW YORK - JUNE 27: Boxers Canelo Alvarez (L) and Gennady Golovkin (R) face off during a press conference on June 27, 2022 in New York City.   Dustin Satloff/Getty Images/AFP
== FOR NEWSPAPERS, INTERNET, TELCOS & TELEVISION USE ONLY ==
Dustin SatloffAFP

Saúl Canelo Álvarez will fight for the third time Gennady Golovkin on 17 September at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. The Mexican superstar said he is ready to bounce back after the second-career defeat he suffered against Dmitry Bivol earlier this year and Canelo said he had problems in training prior to that fight.

I lost because I lost because I lost, not because of golf or anything. I was golfing three years ago, and I won the undisputed (super middleweight) championship, so that’s not the reason,” said Canelo to Fight Hub TV. “It is another reason, but I don’t want to say anything and make excuses.

I lost and that’s it. I got tired and that’s it. I couldn’t train like usual, but it is what it is. I lost, but I’m going to get my chance again. It’s not that (overtrained), it’s other things. I don’t want to say anything. I don’t want any excuses. I want to fight in Bivol’s division,” Canelo added.

Canelo will step down in weight

As part of his contract with DAZN, Sául Canelo Álvarez has to fight the third bout against Gennady Golovkin this year and for that reason he couldn’t take the rematch against Bivol immediately. For for upcoming fight the Mexican will step down to light-heavyweight, where he has performed at his best during his career.

Rules

To be able to comment you must be registered and logged in. Forgot password?