Al Attiyah targets a sixth straight Olympic Games
The Qatari bronze medallist at the 2012 Games is aiming to add a Rio medal to his trophy cabinet, which also contains two Dakar Rally victories.
Qatari sportsman Nasser Al Attiyah has swapped the steering wheel for the shotgun as the twice Dakar Rally winner targets a sixth Olympic appearance at the Rio de Janeiro Games in August.
The 45-year-old, who won bronze in the men's skeet at the 2012 London Olympics, is competing at the ongoing Asian shooting Championship on the outskirts of New Delhi, hoping to maintain his record of competing at each Games since 1996.
"I have been five times in the Olympic Games - Atlanta, Sydney, Athens, Beijing and London," the Qatari told Reuters TV. "[I won] bronze medal in London. And now really it will be a dream for me to [also] compete in Rio... six times in the Olympic Games."
Rallying and marksmanship are not easy to combine but Al Attiyah said he enjoys both. "I love both sport - rally and shooting. And this was my dream for a long time, to be champion in rally and champion in shooting."
Al Attiyah took to shooting hoping it would help him focus better behind the wheel when competing in the gruelling rallies, before he fell to the charm of shooting clay targets flung into the air.
His busy rallying schedule does impact his shooting but Al Attiyah claimed bronze - only the fourth medal Qatar have ever won at the Olympics - in London after only 10 days of practice. “It is not easy. When I started rally, I was looking for another sport to help me from [the] concentration side and I find myself one day practicing shooting and I said: ‘Okay this is the right sport to help me for driving, for rally.’ But I find also that I was good in shooting and I said: ‘Why not try to be an Olympic medal [winner] in shooting?’”
Te recomendamos en English
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson out for the rest of the season
- PREMIER LEAGUE Former players call for change after calamitous VAR decisions
- World Football Summit Collina on VAR: “In five years we’ve gone from zero to having it in all main competitions”
- REAL MADRID-ALAVÉS Real Madrid player ratings in 2-0 win over Alavés
- Coronavirus Coronavirus USA: what did Dr Fauci say about the hotspots and reopening?
- Coronavirus Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths, news and stimulus checks, today