Young cricketer Adrian St John shot dead in the Caribbean
Adrian St John, 22, was shot dead in a presumed robbery while on holiday in Trinidad.
Condolences have poured in for the promising young British cricketer who played for the Chris Gayle Academy in London. The West Indies cricketer expressed his sadness at the passing of "the captain of the academy"
Reports in local media suggest St John was attacked after he had stopped his car to pick up two friends.
Donovan Miller, programme manager for the Chris Gayle Foundation, spoke to the BBC: "I'm really finding it hard to come to terms with it, how someone could do something like that to such a lovely person."
Very sad and shock to hear about the murder off or academy member Adrian St John in Trinidad this morning.😢😢😢 pic.twitter.com/XLBEFEL7wf— Donovan Miller (@Doncricket2004) 11 April 2016
Leandra Alexander, St John’s cousin, said he had been in Trinidad since the country’s annual carnival in February.
She described him as: ‘very cool and jolly. He was a darling. He was never rude, never disrespectful. He was just a cool and quiet child.’
St John was a University of Hertfordshire graduate with a degree in history and philosophy and held dual British and Trinidadian nationality, he lived in London.
Friends and teammates took to social media to express their disbelief and offer condolences:
R.I.P Adrian St. John still cannot believe that your life has been taken away so early in your life and so horribly. pic.twitter.com/VXDHLUKuF4— Adrian atherton (@adr1an_ath) 12 April 2016
The foreign office released a statement saying: "We are in contact with authorities following the death of a British national in Trinidad and are ready to provide consular assistance."
A 24-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder.
Te recomendamos en English
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS Unemployment benefits: can self-employed workers qualify for a new round of payments?
- BOXING Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Usyk: fight card, TV & how to watch online
- OTHER SPORTS Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Usyk: how much does the winner make?
- NFL Stafford give Rams slight edge in blockbuster Bucs clash
- NBA Clippers chief unsure if Kawhi Leonard will play this season
- NBA NBA denies Warriors star Wiggins' request for covid-19 vaccination exemption