GRUPO D | ESPAÑA 3 - TURQUÍA 0
Ramos becomes Spain's most capped outfield player ever
Winning his 134th cap against Turkey, the defender overtook Xavi as Spain's record outfield appearance maker. Goalkeeper Iker Casillas remains top of the overall list with 167 caps.
Spain’s victory over Turkey will go down in history for being the game in which Spain not only installed themselves as early favourites to lift their third consecutive European Championship, but also the occasion when Sergio Ramos became the country's most capped outfield player ever.
Ramos overtakes Xaxi
The central defender won his 134th international cap, overtaking Xavi Hernadez (133) as La Roja’s record outfield appearance maker. Ramos came to Euro 2016 with 132 games under his belt, drawing level with the Barcelona legend when Spain took on Czech Republic last Saturday.
Casillas holds overall record
With 167 caps, Iker Casillas holds the record for the most appearances made by any player in the history of national team. Ramos now finds himself second on that list, 27 caps behind.
Te recomendamos en English
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS Unemployment benefits: can self-employed workers qualify for a new round of payments?
- BOXING Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Usyk: fight card, TV & how to watch online
- OTHER SPORTS Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Usyk: how much does the winner make?
- NFL Stafford give Rams slight edge in blockbuster Bucs clash
- NBA Clippers chief unsure if Kawhi Leonard will play this season
- NBA NBA denies Warriors star Wiggins' request for covid-19 vaccination exemption