Atletico Madrid have already held talks with UEFA officials in the hope that the club’s new stadium, scheduled to completed in time for the start of the 2016-17 LaLiga season, will be chosen to host a Champions League final.
Atleti in the running for the 2018 or 2019 Champions League Final
The club believe that the new ground, known officially as the Olympic Stadium but widely dubbed La Peineta, will be one of the most modern stadiums in Europe once completed and be the perfect venue for the biggest club match in the world. With Cardiff already scheduled to host the 2017 final next June, Atletico are in no rush and are targeting the still-to-awarded 2018 and 2019 finals. UEFA are already well aware of the club’s interest.
A permanent home for the Copa del Rey?
Not only is the stadium being considered for European finals, it is also being mooted by the Spanish Football Federation as a possible permanent home for the Spanish Copa del Rey final. The ground would have a higher capacity that the club’s current Vicente Calderón stadium (over 70,000 to 55,000) and would be easily accessible to fans travelling to the capital. In addition, fan zones could be installed in the increased space around the ground and offer visiting fans a place to spend time in the vicinity of the ground in the run-up to the game, something not currently possible at the Vicente Calderón.
Choosing a stadium to host the annual Cope del Rey final has proved problematic for years and the Federation is believed to be keen on fixing a venue. However, no decision will even be debated until the stadium is completed and operational.
Recommended in English
- FORMULA 1 Lewis Hamilton wants to see change in Saudi Arabia
- SOCIAL SECURITY What is an unrestricted Social Security card? How can I apply for it?
- NFL Bucs' Bruce Arians wants the NFL to look at other teams.
- LALIGA Barcelona vs Betis: times, TV and how to watch online
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES What is the difference between an abortion pill and Plan B?
- SOCCER AC Milan defender Simon Kjaer out for the rest of the season after undergoing knee surgery