Pepe agrees new contract with Real Madrid - report
According to Spanish radio, Pepe will renew his current deal until June 2018 in what will almost certainly be his final contract with the club
Pepe has agreed a new one-year deal with Real Madrid which will see him at the club until June 2018, according to El Larguero.
The Portuguese centre-back is out of contract with the club at the end of the season and would have been free to negotiate with other teams as of January.
To be made official in coming weeks
However, as the Spanish radio show reports, with both sides now having come to an agreement over the extension, the deal will be made official in the coming weeks and Pepe will join Toni Kroos (who signed on till 2022 on Wesdnesday) as well as teammates Luka Modric, Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale, who are also all set to earn bumper new contacts.
Pepe had already made it clear that his intention was to stay back in September, saying: “I’m going to wait until the last millisecond for Real Madrid. If they don’t renew me I can think about retiring from football.”
Third and final contract
The 33-year old, who has become one of the most influential players in the Real Madrid dressing room over the years, can now look forward to seeing out his third, and almost certianly final, contract with the club since arriving from Porto in 2007.
Recommended in English
- NFL The Rams change ticket policy to restrict 49ers fans ahead of NFC Championship game
- NFL How did the Los Angeles Rams get their name? Origin and meaning
- NBA NBA round-up: Suns equal best-ever start, Garland matches LeBron in Cavs win
- NBA Lakers at Nets: times, TV and how to watch online, NBA 2021-22
- NBA NBA: Nets vs Lakers – injury news
- NBA Juancho recalls tough times at Boston: "There was no room for me"