Jimmy Anderson: England bowler to miss first Test in India
Captain Alastair Cook revealed on Wednesday that Anderson won't be fit for November's series opener against India
England's record-breaking bowler Jimmy Anderson, who has already been ruled out of the current tour of Bangladesh, is set to miss next month's first Test against India, captain Alastair Cook said on Wednesday.
"He won't be ready"
"I don't think he'll be there for the start. He might be ready to do some training, but he won't be ready for the first Test match" in India, Cook told reporters.
"I don't know what's happening - they will be making some decisions over the next seven days or so. I spoke to him last night and he is training well and in good shape physically."
Anderson out since August
Anderson, England's all-time leading Test wicket-taker, has not played since the fourth Test against Pakistan in August because of a shoulder injury. He has not travelled to Bangladesh, where England on Thursday begin a two-Test series in Chittagong.
Asked whether he was optimistic the 34-year-old would play some part in the five-Test India series, Cook refused to give any guarantees and said a decision on when he would travel had still to be made.
"You should probably speak to the medical team and Jimmy on that. He hasn't yet bowled since, and that has been the problem in the past," Cook told reporters in Chittagong.
"He's making some really good strides and we'll know more later on."
Visitors set to go with trio of spinners in India
Anderson's continued absence would be a significant blow to England's chances in India, who are the world's number one Test side and have a formidable home record.
England are expected to field three spinners in the Chittagong Test, with the 39-year-old Gareth Batty expected to be selected after more than a decade in the international wilderness.
Te recomendamos en English
- US | CHILD TAX CREDIT Child Tax Credit October 2021 payment: what to do if I haven't received it?
- US NEWS | STIMULUS What is Fed tapering and how could it affect new stimulus check?
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano, live updates today: eruption, tsunami warning and latest news | Canary Islands
- LIGUE 1 Mbappé nets controversial late PSG winner against Angers
- SOCCER Transfer stories: Madrid target Lewandowski and Pogba as Barcelona eye Sterling
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool's Salah on verge of more Premier League history