Beñat hospitalises Athletic Bilbao teammate
Alejandro Remiro was rushed to hospital on Wednesday after teammate Beñat Extebarria struck him on the head with a fierce shot in training
Athletic Bilbao goalkeeper Alejandro Remiro was rushed to hospital on Wednesday after suffering a head injury when he was struck by a ball in training.
The club said Remiro, 21, was conscious and teammate Benat Extebarria told reporters the incident had thankfully just been a "scare".
Basque club release statement
"Traumatic head injury (suffered) in the course of training today Wednesday, March 15," Athletic revealed in a concise statement, "he is conscious and has been transferred to a health centre where additional tests will be carried out."
Remiro has yet to make his first team debut with Athletic, but has been capped at under-19 level by Spain.
Extebarria shed more light on the situation, which took place as the Basque club prepared for their match with Real Madrid on Saturday, and expressed his belief that Remiro had been taken to hospital as a precaution.
"The truth is that is was a big scare because it was powerful strike," he said, "luckily it was just a very strong blow and he is fine. He went to hospital so we can make sure, but I think he is fine."
Worrying sequence of head injuries
The incident emphasises the dangers faced by players from head injuries, just two weeks after Atlético Madrid striker Fernando Torres was hospitalised by a sickening head clash with Deportivo la Coruña's Alex Bergantinos.
In England, brain injury experts recently called for an independent review in to on-field head injuries.
Follow Athletic Bilbao vs Real Madrid coverage | LaLiga Sanrtander
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPICS GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 2 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES Simone Biles returns for gymnastic's balance beam finals: times, TV, and how to watch 2021 Olympics
- TRAVEL Which countries are in the ‘Level 4: Do not travel' category?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER The USWNT will play against Australia for bronze
- OLYMPIC GAMES Which Olympic boxer has won the most medals?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Megan Rapinoe could retire from USWNT after Olympic campaign