Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo won the Portuguese Player of the Year award at the annual Gala das Quinas de Ouro football awards at a ceremony held at Estoril Casino close to the Portuguese capital.
The Madeira born player beat Rui Patrício and Madrid colleague Pepe in the race for the prize and thanked everyone with a special dedication to all Portuguese national team fans: "I'd like to thank my colleagues from Real Madrid, the national team, the coach, the staff, and above all the Portuguese fans" claimed the striker at the star-studded event.
Coach of the year
Portugal national team coach Fernando Santos was awarded with the "Coach of the Year" prize in recognition of his work at Euro 2016 where Portugal saw off hosts France in a tense extra-time win at Saint Denis (Paris) last summer to claim the European Championship.
Recommended in English
- João Félix considering leaving Atlético Madrid
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Champions League knockout stage schedule: when is the round of 16?
- NFL Will Ryan Fitzpatrick play again for the Washington Football Team?
- SOCCER Barcelona €15 million away from Man City forward Ferran Torres
- NBA | LAKERS LeBron James defends Lakers coach Frank Vogel
- NBA | WARRIORS Steph Curry eyeing Ray Allen's three-point record against Portland