ENGLAND 2 - 0 LITHUANIA
England's Defoe scores dream comeback goal against Lithuania
Victory over Lithuania was expected but seeing veteren striker Jermaine Defoe open the scoring was less so just a few months back. And he struggled for words.England vs Spain
Veteran Sunderland striker Jermain Defoe said he was lost for words after scoring on his England comeback in a 2-0 World Cup qualifying win over Lithuania on Sunday.
England call, Defoe delivers
Defoe, 34, struck in the 22nd minute at Wembley, side-footing home from Raheem Sterling's cross, to set England on their way to victory and end his four-year wait for an international goal. The former Tottenham Hotspur striker, whose last England appearance had come in November 2013, has now scored 20 goals in 56 international games.
'It's good to be back,' Defoe told ITV Sport. 'Just to win the game was important and we did that. It's hard to put in words really to be back. Just to be back playing with the lads felt good.'
Defoe has scored 14 goals for bottom club Sunderland in the Premier League this season, but he also owed his recall to injuries suffered by Harry Kane and Daniel Sturridge.
Scotland at Hampden next
Asked if he hopes to keep his place in the squad for England's next qualifier away to Scotland in June, he replied:
'Obviously I've got to go back to my club and make sure we finish the season strong. Like I've always done, I'll keep my head down and see what happens.'
Victory tightened England's grip on first place in UEFA qualifying Group F, provisionally taking them five points clear of Slovenia ahead of Sunday's late matches. Leicester City's reborn Jaime Vardy scored the second goal of the night in the 2-0 win.
Te recomendamos en English
- SUPER LEAGUE Tebas dismisses court ruling asking UEFA to revoke action against Super League trio
- NBA Draft 2021 NBA draft 2021: which players have been selected by each team and main transfers?
- OLYMPICS Thompson-Herah wins women's 100m title and beats Fraser-Pryce
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo 2020: Why is LeBron James not playing at the Olympic Games?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER Tokyo Olympics: Spain's late escape, as Brazil line up Mexico
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics: Team USA into quarters as Durant and Tatum star
- GOLD CUP USA vs Mexico: times, TV and how to watch online
- OLYMPIC GAMES | WRESTLING What types of wrestling are at the Olympics? Differences, rules, format and score system