Antoine Griezmann is set to remain at Atlético. AS is able to confirm information published by El País, which is that Atlético Madrid have already begun negotiations to improve the Frenchman’s contract.
Griezmann likely to stay in red and white
Griezmann is the star man for Diego Simeone’s team. He came third in the most recent Balon D'Or and, accordingly, is coveted by the biggest clubs in Europe. The former-Real Sociedad striker, who scored the equalizer in the Madrid derby on Saturday, has always maintained that he is content at the Calderón.
That said, he has been unwilling to unequivocally dismiss rumours surrounding his future. After the draw at the Bernabéu, Griezmann was flirtatious with the media: “Play for Real Madrid? I can’t rule anything out”. French newspaper L'Equipe had suggested that Griezmann is a target for Atléti's city rivals.
Atléti willing to pay big
Atlético are willing to pay Griezmann an increased salary. He is currently earning in the region of seven million euros per year, and the club have in mind to increase that to ten million.
In addition to an increase in the player’s wage, it is also understood that Los Rojiblancos would seek to increase his release clause (currently €100m), and extend his contract beyond its current 2021 expiry.
Atlético will hope that this offer will be sufficient to persuade Griezmann to stay put for the long-term. At the very least, if Griezmann agrees to these improved terms, Atléti's bargaining position will be strong, as Europe's heavyweights hover over the diminutive number 7.
- Roque Mesa1007Passes
*Update 9 de abril de 2017
Te recomendamos en English
- GOLF US dominates Europe to reclaim Ryder Cup
- CORONAVIRUS | VACCINES What is a religious exemption for the Covid-19 vaccine? Are any religions against the vaccine?
- US NEWS Would the government shutdown impact SNAP benefits?
- NFL What were the Bucs-Rams ratings | NFL Week 3
- SOCCER Arteta urges Arsenal consistency after derby win over Tottenham
- NBA NBA: Kyrie Irving, the covid-19 vaccine and the "plan of Satan"