Injured Thomas withdraws from Giro d’Italia
The Team Sky co-leader said a knee injury has been getting worse by the day, so he has turned his attention to the Tour de France.
Geraint Thomas has withdrawn from the Giro d’Italia due to injuries sustained in a heavy crash caused by a police motorbike on Sunday.
Hopes dashed for Team Sky
Team Sky had high hopes that the Welshman could mount a challenge for a first Grand Tour after he was named as a co-lead for the Giro along with Mikel Landa.
Thomas' hopes all-but ended when he damaged his shoulder and knee in a pile-up following Team Sunweb's Wilco Kelderman's collision with a police vehicle which was inexplicably parked at the side of the road on stage nine.
Incredibly gutted to be leaving, but I'll be back full statement here.. Cheers pic.twitter.com/wsw0zQ2OkS— Geraint Thomas (@GeraintThomas86) May 19, 2017
Tour de France takes Thomas focus
The 30-year-old was able to finish second in Tuesday's time trial following a rest day, but pulled out of the race on Friday with nine stages remaining to get himself fully fit for the Tour de France.
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL Who plays on Thursday Night Football? NFL | Week 7
- SOCCER Hernán ‘Bolillo’ Gómez to be appointed as Honduras' new manager
- SOCCER Mexico's new logo gets leaked ahead of the World Cup
- NBA Boston Celtics 21/22: roster, new signings, cuts and trades
- NBA 76ers' Doc Rivers speaks on Ben Simmons, again
- MLB Braves vs. Dodgers live online, scores, stats and updates: Championship Series