Eric Abidal returns to Barcelona as a club ambassador
The former Barcelona defender returns to a club where he left a massive impression and will act as an ambassador.
Eric Abidal has returned to Barcelona Football Club in an ambassadorial capacity, the club has confirmed. The 37-year-old returns to the club having played at the Camp Nou for six years. It is a place he left an indelibale mark on during a time when he received the support of his teammates and the fans after a tumour was found on his liver.
The former French defender recovered from his health scare and helped Carles Puyol lift the 2011 Champions League trophy at Wembley after Pep Guardiola's side beat Manchester United. He was close to Joan Laporta during the 2015 Barcelona elections but did not lose touch with the winning side of Josep Bartomeu.
The club said that Abidal "will now form a permanent part of the globetrotting veterans team, as well as collaborating with institutional events in liaison with the Social Area and assisting with activities related with the FCBEscola soccer schools."
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL How does the salary cap of NBA teams work? Trades, extensions, minimum veteran salary
- MLB Houston Astros take Game 1 over Boston Red Sox in ALCS
- OTHER SPORTS Canelo vs Plant fight: odds, prediction, dates, times
- US NEWS Why are there food shortages and a global supply chain crisis?
- US NEWS How much does it cost to be a space tourist?
- US NEWS Why are John Deere workers striking?