After months of negotiation, Lionel Messi has signed a contract extension at Barcelona until 30 June 2021.
Messi signs four-year deal
The club confirmed the new four-year deal on Wednesday morning, a few days after Messi returned from his wedding in Argentina.
Messi, who turned 30 on 24 June, will remain at Camp Nou until he is at least 34. It is his eighth contract renewal at Barça since he arrived in Spain as a teenager.
Messi's release clause expected to be €300m
Barcelona's statement does not mention a release clause, but it is likely that further details of a €300m clause will emerge in due course.
The deal has not been straightforward. Quite the opposite, in fact. Both parties have had to reconvene after Messi rejected the club's initial offer. It has taken months of negotiation, but Barcelona supporters can now breathe a deep sigh of relief.
Barcelona venerate Messi
Barça released a statement overflowing with superlatives to greet Messi's contract renewal:
"The Club is very happy with both the renewal and the commitment of Messi, the best player in history, who has played his full professional career at Barça and has led the team to an era of extraordinary success, the likes of which has never been seen in world football."
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics: IOC apologize after Ukraine and ROC confusion
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GOLF Tokyo Olympics: USA star Korda sizzles in the heat while flirting with 59
- NFL Trey Lance bringing the best out of Jimmy Garoppolo at 49ers
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER Tokyo Olympics: Megan Rapinoe and Carli Lloyd earn bronze for USA in thriller
- Tokyo Olympics Tokyo Olympics: Reaching the start line was a miracle – Johnson-Thompson explains injury fightback
- OLYMPIC GAMES How long is a Marathon? How far is it in miles?