Augusto Fernández: "I felt like I was making my debut again"
Atlético's Argentinean midfielder returned to action in Mexico after a lengthy lay-off with a serious knee injury, giving El Cholo a pre-season boost.
Augusto Fernández made his return to action for Atlético against Toluca on the club’s pre-season tour after recovering from a serious knee injury he sustained in a league match against Depor last September.
Augusto: "When the whistle went I felt like I was where I belong"
After almost a year out of the game, the Argentinean’s return provides a timely boost for Atlético boss Diego Simeone given that the club are banned from signing any new players during the summer transfer window. Speaking to the Atlético website, Augusto detailed his return to the pitch: “What I felt above all leading up to kick-off was as though I was making my debut again. Now that has happened it is the moment to enjoy it. I went through a lot of emotions but when the whistle went I felt like I was in the place where I belong. I feel good, I’m taking it day by day and getting some rhythm and fitness back and the important thing is that the knee is OK, it’s responding well and I’m going to get back to where I was.”
"Atlético is a great family"
Augusto joined Atlético from Celta Vigo in January 2016 but missed the majority of the 2016-17 season after suffering a cruciate ligament tear on September 25 of the same year. It has been a long road back for the defensive midfielder but he said that the support he received during his recovery was instrumental in his return: “Today I am extremely grateful to all the people who were there for me during those long months. I could feel that my teammates were also happy to see me back on the pitch and that shows what a great family Atlético is.”
Te recomendamos en English
- ENTERTAINMENT | HALLOWEEN MOVIES How to watch all Michael Myer's Halloween movies in order and where to find them
- NFL Who's left for Rodgers after Adams, Lazard out due to COVID
- SOCCER | LALIGA Ancelotti hits out Barca fans who showed Koeman 'a lack of respect'
- MLB Braves and Astros finalize roster ahead of World Series Game 1
- CORONAVIRUS | COVID-19 VACCINES Pfizer vaccine recommended for children 5 - 11; when could young children get vaccinated?
- Best haunted houses in Texas, Illinois, Michigan: corn mazes, asylums, and car washes