Antoine Griezmann was sent off for Atlético Madrid in the 68th minute of the opening fixture of the 2017/18 LaLiga Santander season against Girona.
Griezmann sent off, no penalty
Atlético were already two goals down with the Primera new boys on course to cause a shock when the French striker raced into the penalty area as goalkeeper Iraizoz came rushing out. As Griezmann jumped to clear the goalkeeper he appeared to leave a leg dangling and slight contact was made of which the player made as much of as possible in the air. He then looked up from the turf expecting a penalty to get his team back into the game.
1 - Antoine Griezmann has been sent off in La Liga for the first time ever (253 appearances). Red. pic.twitter.com/Xol847vQQk— OptaJose (@OptaJose) 19 August 2017
"You're a fucking bottler" says Griezmann
Instead though, referee Martinez Munuera reached for a yellow card deeming the striker to have simulated the fall. Upon seeing the action taken Griezmann said something to the official that caused him to hurridly pull out a red card, brandishing it without first showing a second yellow. Post-game reports have said his exact words: "eres un cagón" which can most simply be translated as "you're a fucking bottler."
It is worth noting that Valencia player Rodrigo used the same language to the official last season and received a two-match ban.
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL Buffalo Bills vs Tennessee Titans live online: scores, stats and updates | NFL Week 6
- NFL Ravens' John Harbaugh thinks Jackson critique misses point
- NFL Which NFL players have 'gone broke' after their career?
- SOCCER Real Madrid team news, possible starting XI against Shakhtar
- NBA NBA 21/22 season: How much does a cheerleader earn?
- MLB Astros vs. Red Sox live online, scores, stats and updates: Championship Series