ATHLETIC - GETAFE
Getafe goal not given and no Liga goal line technology to help
The ball appeared to cross the line when Molina directed a strong header towards Athletic's goal but Kepa's block was quick enough to suggest to the officials otherwise
Controversy in Bilbao as another situation that could have been simply resolved with goal-line technology results in an incorrect decision.
Just nine minutes into the game away to Athletic Fajr delivered a free-kick that was headed goalwards by the Getafe frontman Jorge Molina. Kepa, in goal for Athletic, blocked the attempt and referee Melero López ruled that it had not crossed the line. He was not afforded the luxury, or 'business-as-usual tool' for those in other European leagues, of the technology that can make the accurate decision for him.
Removing indecision in LaLiga
Former referee Iturralde González said after the event on Spanish programme Carrusel Deportivo that TV replays were inconclusive. And it's not the first controversy of its type on this the opening weekend of fixtures. On Saturday, during the Sevilla - Espanyol game, referee Hernández Hernández gave a goal to Lenglet which some say did not cross the line.
As yet, goal-decision technology, as well as the Video Assistant Referee system (VAR), have not been incorporated into LaLiga despite numerous calls.
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL Rodgers taunts Bears fans: "All my f****** life I own you" after Packers win
- NFL Browns QB Mayfield dislocates shoulder again but expects to play Thursday
- SERIE A Johan Vásquez scores in his Serie A debut with Genoa
- REAL MADRID Benzema has his eyes set on this year's Ballon d'Or
- SOCCER | REAL MADRID Mbappé looks to follow Ronaldo's path at Real Madrid
- NBA Simmons returns to 76ers practice, will play 'when he's ready'