Defeat to Betis leaves Madrid seven points behind Barça
This time the game didn't end in a draw but defeat. Betis rode their luck at times but head back to Seville with maximum points after a late goal from Sanabria as the game lost it's shape in time added on. Betis move to sixth in the league table and the result sees Real Madrid slip seven points behind table toppers FC Barcelona. It's true, the season has just started and there is much football still to be played but Barça are racking up the points with an inspired Lionel Messi driving them on. It's ironic this season that Madrid play with a degree of "stage-fright" at home Barça look more than comfortable at Camp Nou.
To and fro
Last night's game can be broken down into various phases. Zidane's men came out all guns blazing as they tend to do at home and on so many occasions take an early lead without having to do too much against so many sides. Last night Betis had an answer and moved the ball around well and came close on a number of occasions with Carvajal saving on the line and Keylor forced to pull off some fine saves. Modric took control of proceedings with the Croatian coming close as did Welsh winger Bale, who once again was subject to some undeserved whistling from sectors of the Bernabeu crowd.
During the periods of the game when Betis were on the rack, goalkeeper Adán was on hand to save Setien's men with some decisive saves and decision making. Cristiano had a discreet return and never really threatened the Betis goal on his return from his five match ban. Veteran player Joaquín was instrumental in driving Betis forward when he entered the fray and just as it appeared that the game would be tied, an injury time Antonio Barragan cross found Sanabria to head into the corner of the Madrid net. An excellent bounty for a team who suffered elegantly throughout the evening and a severe blow for Real Madrid who are playing in fits and starts this season.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 5 August
- UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION $100 Mixed Earner Unemployment Compensation in California: what's the deadline to claim it?
- CORONAVIRUS Do all states have to follow the mask mandate?
- Coronavirus How effective are masks against the Delta variant?
- MLS “We urgently need to start winning trophies” - Carlos Vela on LAFC goals
- SERIE A Eriksen returns to Inter for first time since cardiac arrest