Verstappen no regrets over US move
Max Verstappen said Thursday he had no regrets and stood 'absolutely' by his belief that he was treated unfairly at last week's United States Grand Prix.
Max Verstappen, who was penalised five seconds and deprived of a third-place finish at last week's United States Grand Prix after running off the track briefly, told reporters he may have used the wrong words in his post-race tirade, but had no change of view.
Verstappen, the hottest young driver in the pit lane, had roared from 16th on the grid last Sunday to cross the line in third with his dramatic last-gasp pass of Kimi Raikkonen, the 38-year-old Ferrari driver. But the race stewards ruled he had gained an unfair advantage by cutting off the track at the inside of Turn 17. He was given a five-second penalty, which demoted him to fourth place.
Verstappen had blamed his demotion on one 'idiot steward' and said such penalties were 'killing the sport' during his post-race reaction. Meanwhile, Formula One bosses have clamped down on drivers taking advantage of imprecise track limits for this weekend's likely title-deciding Mexican Grand Prix.
The Race Director of the International Motoring Federation (FIA) Charlie Whiting sent a note to teams on Thursday outlining new arrangements at Turn One, where last year on the first lap Lewis Hamilton cut across the grass after running wide and rejoined in the lead. This weekend, he has been told, he will have to rejoin after going around a group of speed bumps designed to negate any advantage being gained.
Last year's Mexican Grand Prix also featured Verstappen cutting across the grass in a similar fashion when defending against Sebastian Vettel of Ferrari. The Dutchman went on to finish third, but was penalised after the race and denied a podium, just as he was in Austin last weekend. New arrangements and rulings are also introduced for Turns Eight and 11.