Champions League: What Atlético Madrid need to qualify for last 16
Atlético Madrid are still in the hunt for a Champions League last-16 place as they prepare to take on Chelsea in tonight's final round of Group C games.
Two weeks ago, goals by Antoine Griezmann and Kevin Gameiro ensured Los Rojiblancos kept their hopes of progression alive with a 2-0 matchday-five win over Roma at the Wanda Metropolitano.
Atlético need win at Chelsea and Roma slip-up at home to Qarabag
That left Diego Simeone's men sitting two points behind the second-placed Italians, meaning that they must now defeat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, and hope that the Giallorossi fail to beat Qarabag in Rome.
Los Colchoneros would win out if level on points with Roma
A victory for Atleti in West London, coupled with a stalemate in Italy, would leave the LaLiga outfit tied on nine points with Roma, but with a superior head-to-head record.
Were Roma to lose to Qarabag, meanwhile, an Atlético triumph over Chelsea would see them finish a point ahead of Eusebio Di Francesco's team.
Te recomendamos en English
- 76ers and Doc Rivers want to convince Ben Simmons to stay amid trade talk
- MLB MLB round-up: Cardinals extend streak, Rays clinch playoff berth
- SCIENCE NEWS When will the Sun die?
- NFL Odell Beckham Jr. close to return for Cleveland Browns
- NFL New York Jets' Zach Wilson reflects on his disastrous 'four interceptions' game
- NFL New York Giants' Nick Gates in good spirits while facing an uncertain future