Champions League: What Atlético Madrid need to qualify for last 16
Atlético Madrid are still in the hunt for a Champions League last-16 place as they prepare to take on Chelsea in tonight's final round of Group C games.
Two weeks ago, goals by Antoine Griezmann and Kevin Gameiro ensured Los Rojiblancos kept their hopes of progression alive with a 2-0 matchday-five win over Roma at the Wanda Metropolitano.
Atlético need win at Chelsea and Roma slip-up at home to Qarabag
That left Diego Simeone's men sitting two points behind the second-placed Italians, meaning that they must now defeat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, and hope that the Giallorossi fail to beat Qarabag in Rome.
Los Colchoneros would win out if level on points with Roma
A victory for Atleti in West London, coupled with a stalemate in Italy, would leave the LaLiga outfit tied on nine points with Roma, but with a superior head-to-head record.
Were Roma to lose to Qarabag, meanwhile, an Atlético triumph over Chelsea would see them finish a point ahead of Eusebio Di Francesco's team.
Te recomendamos en English
- Ryder Cup: Garcia gets action underway at Whistling Straits
- Joshua v Usyk: AJ aims to keep it simple as Fury looms large over capital clash
- WORLD NEWS What has Biden said about the Evergrande crisis?
- NFL NFL: Chargers after another road win at Chiefs in big AFC West clash
- PSG Mbappé is a fantastic guy - Pochettino backs PSG forward
- BARCELONA Ronald Koeman receives two-match ban for red card