Marco Asensio looking for debut scoring set at Club World Cup
The Real Madrid midfielder has found the net on his first game in every competition for the club
Marco Asensio will attempt to secure his Crown as the king of the debut in Abu Dhabi when Real Madrid take on Al-Jazira in the semifinals of the Club World Cup on Wednesday.
The Real Madrid midfielder has managed to find the net on his debut in every competition for the club so far and the only one he lacks to complete the set is a goal in the short format competition.
Asensio is the side’s second-highest scorer this season behind Cristiano Ronaldo with seven goals and is likely to get his chance to add to his debut tally against the UAE Pro-League champions after not featuring for a single minute last year in Japan when Real lifted the title against Kashima Antlers in extra time courtesy of a Ronaldo hat-trick.
Asensio: "Let's see if I can close the circle"
Asensio’s first competitive match for Real Madrid was the European Super Cup in 2016 against Sevilla. He opened the scoring on 21 minutes as Madrid won an enthralling contest 3-2. His four other debut goals came against : Real Sociedad (LaLiga), Legia Warsaw (Champions League), Cultural Leonesa (Copa del Rey) and Barcelona (Spanish Super Cup).
Zinedine Zidane has played Asensio in every match he has been available for this season, with nine starts in LaLiga. “We have a busy December with the Club World Cup and the Clásico but we’ll try to win everything. I haven’t scored in the Club World Cup before so let’s see if I play and can bring everything full circle,” Asensio said ahead of the game.
Recommended in English
- NFL Have the Cincinnati Bengals ever won the Super Bowl?
- NFL How much do NFL players get for playing the conference finals?
- NFL How did the Cincinnati Bengals get their name? Origin and meaning
- TRANSFER MARKET Who are Arsenal targeting after losing out on Vlahovic to Juventus?
- WORLD CUP 2022 Which teams have qualified for the 2022 World Cup?
- REAL MADRID How long is Karim Benzema going to be out of action for?