Coutinho 'deserved' Barça move, claims Luis Figo
Barcelona's big-money signing of Philippe Coutinho was a deserved outcome for the Brazil star, Luis Figo has said.
Philippe Coutinho deserved his club-record move to Barcelona, according to former Blaugrana winger Luis Figo.
Coutinho's transfer from Liverpool to Barça was completed on January 6, with LaLiga's leaders reportedly paying an initial £106million that could rise to £142m for the Brazil forward's services.
Figo was at Inter when they agreed to sign Coutinho in 2008, though he was loaned back to Vasco da Gama and never played with the Portugal legend at San Siro.
And Figo, who controversially left Barca for Real Madrid in 2000, is pleased the 25-year-old has sealed his dream move to Camp Nou.
Figo, speaking at the Abu Dhabi Invitational 2018, Yas Links Golf Club, Abu Dhabi, told Omnisport: "Football has changed so much, the amounts change so much.
"I'm happy for Coutinho because I met him at Inter, I didn't play with him but he's a nice boy. He deserves to be successful and happy, so I wish him all the best because he deserves it."
Ineligible for UCL
Coutinho cannot play for Barcelona in the Champions League this season having already done so for Liverpool.
Jurgen Klopp's men are one of five Premier League teams through to the knockout stages of Europe's top competition, providing encouragement that an English team could lift the trophy for the first time since 2012.
Figo said of the Premier League's quintet: "In the Champions League they are doing pretty well until now, that shows they have potential, sporting potential, financial potential and of course that helps you to make stronger teams.
"Let's see what happens at the end of the competition but they are doing really well until now."
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL Denver Broncos vs Cleveland Browns live online: scores, stats and updates | NFL Week 7
- MLB Braves vs. Dodgers live online, scores, stats and updates: Championship Series
- US NEWS Is the Social Security increase for 2022 the largest in US history?
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?
- NBA NBA 20/21 season to feature 109 international players from 39 countries