Jorge Jesus unveiled as Al-Hilal head coach
Jorge Jesus had one year remaining on his contract with Portugal's Sporting CP but the 63-year-old opted to join Al-Hilal.
Al-Hilal appointed experienced Portuguese head coach Jorge Jesus on a one-year deal, the Saudi Arabian giants announced.
Jesus had one year remaining on his contract with Portugal's Sporting CP but the 63-year-old opted to join Al-Hilal amid financial and political problems in Lisbon.
The former Benfica boss has the option of an additional year at Al-Hilal, who won the Saudi Pro League in 2017-18 but failed to advance past the AFC Champions League group stage, after replacing former Paraguay head coach Ramon Diaz.
Jesus had spent the previous 28 years of his career in Portugal with clubs including Braga and most recently Sporting CP, but his most successful period came at Benfica where he reached two Europa League finals and won 10 domestic trophies.
Sporting finished third last season, 10 points adrift of champions Porto.
The incident, which saw striker Bas Dost receive several cuts to his head, took place just two days after a 2-1 loss to Maritimo – a result that meant Sporting missed out on Champions League qualification.
Outspoken president Bruno De Carvalho was also critical of the team following their Europa League exit to Atletico Madrid in April.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: medal winners, athletes and results, 24 July
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN How much money can you get from stimulus checks and the Child Tax Credit?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 24 July
- Olympic Games Since when is skate an olympic sport and why?
- OLYMPIC GAMES What is the USA basketball roster for the 2021 Tokyo Olympic Games?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USWNT bounce back in crushing 6-1 New Zealand win