Jorge Jesus unveiled as Al-Hilal head coach
Jorge Jesus had one year remaining on his contract with Portugal's Sporting CP but the 63-year-old opted to join Al-Hilal.
Al-Hilal appointed experienced Portuguese head coach Jorge Jesus on a one-year deal, the Saudi Arabian giants announced.
Jesus had one year remaining on his contract with Portugal's Sporting CP but the 63-year-old opted to join Al-Hilal amid financial and political problems in Lisbon.
The former Benfica boss has the option of an additional year at Al-Hilal, who won the Saudi Pro League in 2017-18 but failed to advance past the AFC Champions League group stage, after replacing former Paraguay head coach Ramon Diaz.
Jesus had spent the previous 28 years of his career in Portugal with clubs including Braga and most recently Sporting CP, but his most successful period came at Benfica where he reached two Europa League finals and won 10 domestic trophies.
Sporting finished third last season, 10 points adrift of champions Porto.
The incident, which saw striker Bas Dost receive several cuts to his head, took place just two days after a 2-1 loss to Maritimo – a result that meant Sporting missed out on Champions League qualification.
Outspoken president Bruno De Carvalho was also critical of the team following their Europa League exit to Atletico Madrid in April.
Recommended in English
- CRYPTOCURRENCY What are the cryptocurrencies that have increased the most in value this year?
- NBA Lakers' Anthony Davis: "The whole world wants to see us lose"
- NBA 76ers star Embiid suggests Philadelphia NBA MVP bias
- NBA Heat's Kyle Lowry handed ovation on emotional Toronto return
- NBA Warriors head coach Steve Kerr speaks against gun violence after Sacramento Shooting
- NBA Nets coach Steve Nash rules Simmons out of NBA Play-In