Crisis club Sporting Clube appoint Mihajlovic
Sinisa Mihajlovic has agreed to become the new manager of troubled Sporting Clube de Portugal after signing a three-year-deal.
Troubled Sporting Clube de Portugal have appointed Sinisa Mihajlovic as their new head coach on a three-year contract. The 49-year-old has spent most of his managerial career in Italy, having assisted Roberto Mancini at Inter Milan before spells at clubs including Fiorentina, Sampdoria and AC Milan, as well as the Serbian national team.
Unrest in Lisbon
Mihajlovic replaces Jorge Jesus, who left to take a job in Saudi Arabia with Al-Hilal, and has work to do with a number of off-field issues impacting on the club. Jesus left Sporting in early June after a group of fans invaded the training ground and attacked the squad.
Several top players, including Portugal internationals Rui Patricio, William Carvalho, Gelson Martins and Bruno Fernandes, have all terminated their contracts with the Lisbon-based club, leaving Mihajlovic with a big rebuilding job.
The incident came after a disappointing end to the season for Sporting, who finished third in the Primeira Liga but lost to unfancied CD Aves in the Taça de Portugal Cup final. Outspoken club president Bruno de Carvalho had also publicly criticised the players.
Te recomendamos en English
- ENTERTAINMENT When is Adele's '30' album coming out? Where can I listen to it?
- NBA Best paid NBA players in 2021/22 season
- NFL Who plays Sunday Night Football tonight Week 6? | TV and times
- SOCCER Transfer stories: Newcastle's new owners consider move for Erling Haaland
- SOCCER | PREMIER LEAGUE "Salah has to experience Real Madrid"
- LALIGA SANTANDER Barcelona boosted as Agüero and Fati in squad for Valencia game