Muguruza can retain Wimbledon title - Conchita Martínez
Conchita Martínez played her part in Garbiñe Muguruza's Wimbledon triumph last year and thinks she can lift the Venus Rosewater Dish again.
Conchita Martínez thinks Garbiñe Muguruza can retain her Wimbledon title and is not ruling out another collaboration with her compatriot. Muguruza was crowned champion for the first time at the All England Club with a straight-sets victory over Venus Williams last year.
The world number three recruited fellow Spaniard Martínez to coach her ahead of the 2017 grass-court grand slam and that proved to be a masterstroke. Martínez, who finished working with Muguruza in March, says the third seed is capable of adding to her two major titles at SW19 this month.
The 1994 Wimbledon champion told Omnisport: "She is a great player, grass is a very tough surface but if she plays like she did at Wimbledon last year she has a really good chance. Garbine is a great talent and competitor and if she plays to her strengths, she can do it again. She was great at Wimbledon last year and deserved her success, she is capable of doing it again but there are other very strong players of course."
Asked about the prospect of returning to Muguruza's team in the future, Martínez said: "For the moment there are no plans, but you never know. It was great working with her."
Serena in contention
She also expects Serena Williams to produce a strong challenge for the Venus Rosewater Dish in her second grand slam since giving birth last year. "With the serve that she has, also the points are not going to be as long as they were at Roland Garros. For sure, she is going to be very dangerous," Martínez added. "She is an amazing athlete, an amazing worker. It is hard to come back, but she has the will to win more grand slams."
Te recomendamos en English
- Olympic Games Why are the 2021 Olympic Games called Tokyo 2020?
- OLYMPIC GAMES When are the 100m Olympic finals taking place?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Simone Biles confirms she will be back for Team USA at the Games
- NEW YORK CITY Which New York City public pools are open for summer 2021?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA: why is the CDC recommending that vaccinated people wear masks indoors?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: Simone Biles, medal winners, athletes and results, 27 July