Venus hampered by knee injury as Halep reaches quarters
Simona Halep saw off Venus Williams – who was struggling with a knee injury – to move through to the last eight at the Rogers Cup on Thursday.
World number one Simona Halep eased into the quarter finals of the WTA Rogers Cup at the expense of a hobbling Venus Williams in Montreal. Top seed Halep was playing her second match of the day after scraping past Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova in a rain-affected matchup, which was halted by wet weather on Wednesday.
However, French Open champion Halep had it easier against a visibly uncomfortable Williams – struggling with a knee injury – in a 6-2 6-2 victory on Thursday. American veteran and 13th seed Williams was limping and grimacing in pain after appearing to aggravate a leg issue in the first set, with the 38-year-old's right knee in a compression sleeve.
The problem became apparent following a brief rain delay and while Williams battled through the pain almost on one leg, the seven-time grand slam champion was no match for Halep. Halep claimed the opening set at the fifth time of asking and the Romanian – trying hard to remain focused in the face of her opponents' physical struggles – continued where she left off in the second.
Halep to meet García in the quarter finals
Williams was broken in the first game of the second set and again in the third but she refused to surrender, managing to halt Halep and generate some nerves by claiming one of the breaks back. Halep, however, was always in control as she closed it out with a third match point en route to a last-eight showdown with sixth seed Caroline Garcia.
Te recomendamos en English
- PREMIER LEAGUE Man City had "considerable chance" to land Ronaldo, says Fernandinho
- CORONAVIRUS | MANDATES How many Americans does Biden's vaccine mandate apply to?
- NFL NFL Fantasy Picks: Recommendations for Week 2
- NFL Baltimore's Jackson says Sunday's game vs. KC "not about me and Mahomes"
- NFL Cowboys lose fourth starter in a week after Lawrence breaks foot
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Real Madrid player ratings vs Inter Milan