Mariano gives Julen Lopetegui a 'yes' over the phone
The manager called Mariano and explained what he wants from him and asked of his intentions with Sevilla close to signing the player.
Julen Lopetegui has spoken to Mariano to ask of his willingness to join Real Madrid after the club decided to exercise their buy-back option on the player who was on the brink of signing with Sevilla.
The Real Madrid manager called the player to find out of his intentions and to explain what he expects of him. In principle, he won't be coming back to Real Madrid to start but will play as a back-up to Karim Benzema and will be ahead of Borja Mayoral, if he doesn't leave before the transfer market closes.
After the conversation, in which the player gave his answer, which was positive, Lopetegui acted to make the move official and he could be presented as soon as Wednesday.
Mariano, who is 25, was born in Barcelona and he came up through Badalona's youth ranks before arriving in Madrid to play with los Blancos' juvenil side in 2012. He played with Real Madrid C and Castilla He played 14 times in his last season under Zinedine Zidane before moving to Lyon where he has played three times this season but has not scored. Last season, however, he landed 21 goals.
Te recomendamos en English
- ENTERTAINMENT When is Adele's '30' album coming out? Where can I listen to it?
- NBA Best paid NBA players in 2021/22 season
- NFL Who plays Sunday Night Football tonight Week 6? | TV and times
- SOCCER Transfer stories: Newcastle's new owners consider move for Erling Haaland
- SOCCER | PREMIER LEAGUE "Salah has to experience Real Madrid"
- LALIGA SANTANDER Barcelona boosted as Agüero and Fati in squad for Valencia game