Real Madrid pick up €50 million in Champions League money before a ball is kicked
Based on a new ranking system, Real Madrid sit first thanks to their record over the last decade and they have already earned €50.7 million this season.
Once the Champions League anthem starts and before a ball is even kicked at the Santiago Bernabeu on Wednesday night, Real Madrid will have pocketed €50.7 million. The figure is a result of the increase in revenues for UEFA will share among clubs and a new ranking system
By just participating in the group stages, every team will revieve €15.15 million, which is 20% more than last year. But Real Madrid will recieve a further €35.45 million. The distribution is based on results from the last decade and their record historicall in general.
A new ranking system has been drawn up and each team is assigned a ranking from 32 to 1. The €585 million is distrubuted into 528 parts with €1.11 million for each share. The team ranked 32 recieve one share at €1.11 million, the 31st ranked team two shares at €1.11 million and so on until we reach Real Madrid, at number one, who receive their slice €35.45 million.
And the money will continue to pile up the longer the stay in the tournament. If they are the last team standing for the fourth consecutive year, they will earn €117.9 million. There is no official UEFA data but estimates suggest Real Madrid picked up €90.4 million for their 13th European Cup win last year.
Recommended in English
- NATURAL DISASTERS Why do tsunamis happen in the Pacific Ocean?
- ENVIRONMENT Earth's sixth mass extinction has begun according to scientists
- TENNIS Djokovic could be spared three year Australia entry ban
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: $200 Social Security, tax return, Child Tax Credit, Golden State payment...
- NFL NFL Playoff Bracket: Who will play who in the Divisional Round?
- TENNIS Djokovic banned from Australia for three years, federal government confirms