Simeone defends selection decisions after Leganés draw
Gelson Martins led Atlético Madrid's line instead of Nikola Kalinic against the Cucumber Growers as Diego Simeone's side were held in Butarque.
Diego Simeone defended his decision to start winger Gelson Martins in a central role ahead of natural striker Nikola Kalinic in Atlético Madrid's unimpressive 1-1 draw at Leganes.
With Diego Costa missing due to a muscular injury, Simeone sprung something of a surprise by opting to play Gelson – a pre-season arrival from Sporting CP – through the middle alongside Antoine Griezmann.
That left Kalinic – who started against Sant Andreu in the Copa del Rey on Tuesday – on the bench and he was only deployed in the final two minutes as Atlético chased a late winner.
Croatia international Kalinic has made just two LaLiga starts since joining from AC Milan and is yet to score, but Simeone insists the decision to play Gelson was a sound tactical move.
"In the first half we didn't play how we wanted to, but we did in the second half," said Simeone.
"I think that the second half represented the game we wanted to play. We wanted to have players on the pitch who could dribble. Gelson had played well and scored a goal in the Copa del Rey.
"We have a lot of confidence in our players, and they know it and are ready to play."
Simeone's advice to Kalinic if he wants more playing time was simple.
"[He needs] to work," he said. "We trust everyone. Today he played two minutes, at Atlético two minutes are a lot. He played the other day, while Gelson had a good game in the Copa. I'm happy with the second half."
Te recomendamos en English
- Child Tax Credit Child Tax Credit 2021: when is the deadline to opt out from August payment?
- US NEWS What public pools are open in summer 2021 in Los Angeles?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Ledecky going for gold, medal count, results, today 28 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Why is Russia called ROC at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Ledecky aiming for two golds in a day with Titmus in the way
- REAL MADRID Official: Real Madrid defender Varane signs for Manchester United