De Tomás: "Lopetegui wanted me to stay but I didn't want to spend the year sitting on the bench"
The Rayo Vallecano striker, who is on loan from Real Madrid scored a hat-trick on Friday night and says he had the chance to remain at the club under Julen Lopetegui.
Rayo Vallecano striker, Raúl de Tomás, scored a hat-trick on Friday night to help the relegation-threatened side over Celta Vigo with a 4-2 win. The striker is on loan from Real Madrid and was with the club during the preseason until he moved back to Vallecas where he spent the year before helping Rayo with promotion from the second division.
He says he had a chance to stay at Real Madrid too with Julen Lopetegui wanting him in his squad. Real Madrid sent Borja Mayoral to Levante late in the transfer window and also brought in Mariano Díaz from Lyon as they looked to replace the goals they lost when Cristiano Ronaldo left the club for Juventus.
"I'm not thinking about going back to Real Madrid, it's the truth. I could have stayed, I have said it before. Julen wanted me to stay but I am a winner. My job is not to sit on the bench for the year. I know that competing like I am competing now is how to grow," he said.
Te recomendamos en English
- BARCELONA Messi's numbers at Barcelona: appearances, goals, trophies...
- BARCELONA Messi leaves Barcelona, live updates: reactions, possible new club, details
- OLYMPIC GAMES | RACE WALKING Race walking at Tokyo Olympics 2021: rules, distances and courses
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics 2021: Doncic explains assist-heavy display in France defeat
- OLYMPIC GAMES Gardiner takes 400m crown as Crouser defends his title
- OLYMPIC GAMES How long is a marathon? How far is it in miles?