Sala: Cristiano Ronaldo criticised for timing of plane selfie
Gary Lineker was among those to question the former Real Madrid forward for posting a photograph of himself on a private jet on Tuesday.
Cristiano Ronaldo has been heavily criticised for posting a photograph of himself taking a selfie on a private jet the day after the disappearance of an aeroplane carrying new Cardiff City signing Emiliano Sala.
Flying back to Turin after attending court in Madrid
The Juventus striker published the image on social media as he prepared to fly back to Italy on Tuesday, following a Madrid court appearance in which he accepted a two-year jail term and an 18.8-million-euro fine for tax fraud.
"Not the day for this tweet" - Gary Lineker
The 33-year-old, who has a combined 228 million followers on Twitter and Instagram, quickly received a raft of comments from social-media users questioning the timing of the light-hearted post.
Among those to voice their displeasure was the broadcaster and former England captain Gary Lineker, who wrote: "Not the day for this tweet. It really isn't."
Not the day for this tweet. It really isn’t. https://t.co/61y6cgEzm0— Gary Lineker (@GaryLineker) 22 de enero de 2019
Search for Sala plane resumed on Wednesday
Police announced on Wednesday that the search has been resumed for Sala's plane, which went missing on Monday night as it took the striker to Wales to join up with his new club after a 15-million-pound move from Nantes.
Recommended in English
- NBA Juancho recalls tough times at Boston: "There was no room for me"
- NFL PFWA selects three Chiefs for All-Rookie Team Honors
- Soccer Real Madrid's Rodrygo wants World Cup glory with Brazil
- AFCON Mané taken to hospital after head injury blow at AFCON
- NFL Lakers 106 vs. 96 Nets summary: stats, scores, and highlights | NBA
- MLB Big Papi only player elected to Hall of Fame