Real Madrid more competitive with Cristiano Ronaldo - Semedo
Barcelona's Nelson Semedo discussed Cristiano Ronaldo's absence from Real Madrid, who have struggled this season.
Barcelona full-back Nelson Semedo believes Real Madrid would have been more competitive with Cristiano Ronaldo this season.
Ronaldo left for Juventus in the off-season and Madrid have struggled following the departure of their all-time leading scorer – off the pace in LaLiga and out of the Champions League.
Madrid have sacked two head coaches in 2018-19 – Julen Lopetegui and Santiago Solari – with the club third and 12 points adrift of Barça in the league, while their European dominance was sensationally ended by Ajax.
Ronaldo, meanwhile, scored a hat-trick to lead Juve past Atlético Madrid and into the Champions League quarter-finals.
"Without Messi we would play well, but not the same"
Speaking about fellow Portuguese Ronaldo and Madrid, Semedo told Portuguese TV channel SIC: "Real Madrid have noticed his absence a lot.
"I cannot say that it was bad for us that Cristiano left. With him it would have been a more difficult league for us, more competitive."
Semedo – whose Barça face Real Betis on Sunday after being drawn with Manchester United in the Champions League – added: "He [Ronaldo] is a player that requires a lot of attention and care.
"Without Lionel Messi we would play well, but not the same."
Messi has scored a LaLiga-high 26 goals this season and 36 in all competitions, while Juve's Ronaldo has netted 24 for the Italian champions.
Recommended in English
- NFL How and where to watch Broncos vs. Chiefs
- NFL What's the problem with Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins?
- Social Security When does COLA 2022 take effect in Social Security Benefits? How to calculate your amount
- NFL Steelers star T.J. Watt given the all-clear to face Ravens
- NBA Golden State Warriors coach Kerr on San Antonio Spurs defeat
- COVID-19 What is the natural rate of unemployment formula?