Cristiano heads ESPN list of top 100 most famous athletes of 2019
Juventus' Portuguese striker Cristiano Ronaldo is the most famous sportsperson on the planet, according to the ranking announced by ESPN.
Portuguese footballer Cristiano Ronaldo is the most famous sportsman on the planet, according to the ranking announced on Friday by the ESPN network.
Ronaldo tops the list ahead of NBA and LA Lakers player LeBron James (2nd) and Barcelona's Argentine striker Lionel Messi (3rd).
ESPN devised their own formula to rank athletes, taking into account three factors: their search score, endorsement figure and social media following with search score being measured on how often their name was searched in Google.
Paris Saint-Germain striker Neymar is fourth, just ahead of Swiss tennis veteran Roger Federer.
Only three women feature in the ranking: tennis players, Serena Williams (17th), Maria Sharapova (37th) and Sania Mirza (93rd).
Football clearly dominates the "World Fame 100" listing with eleven cricketers from the Indian subcontinent featured and even one star from the world of E-Sport, Ninja (41).
American football player Colin Kaepernick, who has not played in the NFL since 2017, is 57th with the former 49ers player coming to fame after his "taking the kneel" protest in 2016.
Recommended in English
- COVID-19 Covid Omicron variant live updates: symptoms, vaccines, travel ban, South African cases...
- COVID-19 Where has the new covid-19 Omicron variant been detected? What are the symptoms?
- BOXING How much money are Teofimo Lopez and George Kambosos making? How much does the winner get?
- Social Security When does COLA 2022 take effect in Social Security Benefits? How to calculate your amount
- NFL Buffalo Bills CB White out for rest of season with ACL tear
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES What are the abortion laws in America? In what states is it illegal to have an abortion?