He makes others play well – Southgate salutes Henderson ahead of 50th cap
Jordan Henderson is expected to win his 50th England cap on Monday and Gareth Southgate applauded his mentality and leadership.
England manager Gareth Southgate paid tribute to Jordan Henderson and his "winning mentality" as the Liverpool midfielder closes in on a 50th international cap.
Henderson first featured for England's senior side in 2010, starting alongside Steven Gerrard in a 2-1 friendly defeat to France.
Although he had to wait over a year for his next cap, the Liverpool midfielder steadily became a regular in England squads and featured prominently as the Three Lions reached the World Cup semi-finals last year.
Henderson has often divided opinion among fans at domestic and international level, but Southgate is among his admirers.
The 28-year-old will win his 50th cap if he features against Montenegro in Podgorica on Monday and the England boss commended him for the achievement.
"He's such an important player for us, with his winning mentality," said Southgate.
"He makes others player well – he's a leader."
Henderson not thinking about landmark too much
Henderson acknowledged the looming landmark was a source of pride, though he insisted it is not something he will be dwelling on.
"I'm proud to play for my country, but the type of person I am, I'll not really think about it too much," he said.
"Maybe I'll think about it when I finish my career, but at the moment I just want to concentrate on doing the best for my team.
"When I finish my career or my England career, then I can look back and decide if it was good or not."
Te recomendamos en English
- EMMY AWARDS What's the difference between an Emmy and an Oscar award?
- US NEWS Body found in Wyoming fits the description of missing 22-year-old Gabby Petito
- NFL Cleveland Browns safety Ronnie Harrison Jr. fined for a push
- NFL Kansas City Chiefs 35 vs Baltimore Ravens 36 summary: score, stats, and highlights | Week 2
- NFL The New Orleans Saints slump to defeat against Carolina Panthers
- NFL NY Jets QB Zach Wilson throws 4 interceptions in loss to Patriots