Messi to have 10 statues at new Camp Nou, says Bartomeu
Lionel Messi deserves 10 statues at the renovated Camp Nou, according to Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu, with a smile on his face.
Barcelona will pay tribute to Lionel Messi with 10 statues at Camp Nou when the Argentina star hangs up his boots, joked club president Josep Maria Bartomeu.
A very Messi Camp Nou
Five-time Ballon d'Or winner Messi is the highest-scoring player in Barça's history, netting his 600th goal for the club with a magnificent free-kick in a 3-0 Champions League semi-final, first leg win over Liverpool on Wednesday.
The 31-year-old - contracted to the club until 2021 - took his tally of trophies with the Catalan giants to 33 by sealing LaLiga glory last weekend, the first piece of silverware in a potential treble for Ernesto Valverde's men this season.
Barça will no doubt hope Messi is still around when the renovation and expansion of Camp Nou, which will see a roof added and the capacity reach 105,000, is completed in 2023.
Asked if a statue of Messi will join the one of Ladislao Kubala at the modernised stadium, Bartomeu told The Observer: "There will be 10 of them!
"I wouldn't even give him the Ballon d'Or. He's beyond that now, in a category of his own.
"There are great players, but he's in a different dimension."
Valverde chose to rest all 11 of the starting line-up against Liverpool for their Saturday night clash with Celta Vigo. Without Messi and the rest, the drop in level was notable.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Does Medicaid cover dental? How can I find a clinic that accepts Medicaid?
- US NEWS Who controls gas prices in the United States? How can the price of gas go down?
- US NEWS Why are gas pricing increasing in October 2021?
- SOCIAL SECURITY How many numbers are in a Social Security Number?
- SOCCER Pelé moving 'closer to the goal' as Brazil great continues recovery
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE New setback for Atlético Madrid's Marcos Llorente