Olympic triathletes' fair-play gesture leads to disqualification
Tokyo 2020 organisers took a dim view of Jess Learmonth and Georgia Taylor-Brown crossing the line hand-in-hand at the qualification event.
Great Britain duo Jess Learmonth and Georgia Taylor-Brown's unselfishness backfired when they were disqualified from a World Triathlon Olympic qualification event in Tokyo for crossing the line together.
Learmonth and Taylor-Brown came away from the rest of the field and finished a race, which was shortened due to the heat, hand-in-hand with broad smiles on their faces on Thursday.
Their joy was short-lived, though, as they were punished for causing a deliberate tie in the Tokyo 2020 test event.
Flora Duffy of Bermuda was subsequently awarded an unexpected victory, with Alice Betto taking silver for Italy and Vicky Holland ensuring there was one Brit on the podium.
GB pair face selection disappointment
British athletes Jess Learmonth and Georgia Taylor-Brown's were disqualified from the World Triathlon Olympic qualification event after crossing the finish line hand-in-hand.— BBC Sport (@BBCSport) August 15, 2019
Full story ➡️ https://t.co/Ai3QkknmfK pic.twitter.com/Lswbo4SskW
Holland is quoted by BBC Sport as saying: "I really feel for Jess and Georgia because they raced exceptionally well today and I feel like they absolutely smashed it and deserved the first and second finish.
"I don't know how British Triathlon will choose things now. I wouldn't want to be a selector."
British Triathlon national performance director Mike Cavendish said: "It's obviously disappointing to have Jess and Georgia disqualified but it's a testament to the depth of our female squad that we still have another athlete on the podium."
Te recomendamos en English
- Covid-19 Coronavirus lock down in USA: which states and what measures have been applied?
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid in talks with players over salary cuts
- Coronavirus Gerardo Martino “We are lucky to have high salaries so we must be supportive”
- FIFA Blatter denies bribery allegations in awarding of 2018 and 2022 World Cups
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Barcelona planning raid on Bernabéu for Gelabert
- Barcelona Messi's Barcelona exit would not be 'a drama' for LaLiga, says Tebas