Real Madrid: The next Trofeo Bernabéu will be in 2021
Florentino Pérez broke the news to club members during a meeting on Monday. According to the president, work on the stadium means the Trofeo Bernabéu can't be staged.
Florentino Pérez held a meeting with delgate members at the Bernabéu on Monday in which he addressed several issues surrounding the club. Apart from reminding club members that Real Madrid never seriously studied the possibility of signing Neymar and that Manchester United never came to put a price on Paul Pogba, he also announced that there will be a two-year break before the next Trofeo Bernabéu is held. Florentino explained that because of the ongoing remodelling of the stadium, the next edition of the summer tournament (the 40th) will take place in 2021. The complexity of setting up, removing then putting back scaffolding was the reason that the Trofeo Bernabéu didn't place this summer as it would have put spectators' safety at risk.
No smoking at the Bernabéu
Obviously, a costly system to get around the scaffolding problem is in place for when Real Madrid play official games at home. Another change which will be implemented after the rennovation work has been completed is that it will be prohibited to smoke anywhere inside the stadium - a no smoking policy is in place in several stadiums in the United States and in the Basque Country.
Te recomendamos en English
- AFCON qualifiers Despite an early scare, Nigeria too strong for plucky Lesotho
- Barcelona Barcelona: Dani Olmo leaves door open for Camp Nou return
- MLS Mandzukic: Inter Miami and LA Galaxy want Juventus striker
- European Championships England end Euro 2020 qualifying campaign on a high
- Euro 2020 Van Dijk leaves Netherlands squad due to personal reasons
- CRISTIANO RONALDO Cristiano: "You all invented a story that all was not well at Juve"