Suárez's return to Barça training hands Valverde Messi respite
Barcelona entertain Valencia on Saturday and the Uruguayan's potential return could see Leo Messi given a bit more time to recover from his calf problem.
Luis Suarez returned to first-team training at Barcelona on Wednesday to give head coach Ernesto Valverde hope that he could feature against Valencia on Saturday and lessen the need to rush Leo Messi back from injury.
Suárez is nearing full fitness again after suffering a calf injury in Barcelona's defeat to Athletic Bilbao on the opening day of the new LaLiga season.
After missing Barça's subsequent 5-2 win over Real Betis and their 2-2 draw at Osasuna, the Uruguay international trained with the team in the build-up to Valencia's visit to Camp Nou to provide Valverde with a welcome boost to his attacking options.
Messi, meanwhile, had been expected to make his first appearance of the season against Valencia after recovering from a similar problem but Valverde may opt not to risk the 32-year-old if Suárez is available.
Good news!— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) September 11, 2019
Luis Suárez back with the squad for part of Wednesday training pic.twitter.com/YVgMAovBVb
The muscle strain sustained on the first day of pre-season training has kept Messi out of Valverde's matchday squads since then, but the Barcelona coach said he hoped to have him back in time to face Valencia.
However, the Spanish champions face a trip to Germany three days after the Valencia game to face Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League and Valverde may give Messi extra rest as he completes his recovery.
Recommended in English
- TRANSFER MARKET Real Madrid: Palmeiras to slap €100m price tag on Brazil wonderkid Endrick
- SERIE A Vlahovic tipped to fill Cristiano Ronaldo's boots at Juventus
- CORONAVIRUS What is ‘stealth Omicron’ and where have the first cases appeared?
- US NEWS Who are the main candidates for the position in the Supreme Court?
- NFL Why is the AFC Trophy named after Lamar Hunt?
- NFL How are the Cincinnati Bengals preparing for the noise in Arrowhead Stadium?