"Ribery at 36 years old was better than Cristiano Ronaldo"
Rocco Commisso, the new owner of Fiorentina, lavished praise on the veteran winger after his performance in the 0-0 draw against Juventus.
Fiorentina owner Rocco Commisso could not contain his glee over the impact of summer signing Franck Ribéry in La Viola’s 0-0 draw with Juventus, describing the veteran Frenchman as “better than Cristiano Ronaldo” over the course of the 90 minutes.
“I’m very happy, it was a great game,” Commisso told Sjy Italia after the match. “Did you see Ribéry, at 36 years of age? He played an amazing game, better than Cristiano Ronaldo.”
"Juve spend hundreds of millions and we were better than them"
Ribéry joined Fiorentina on a free transfer after leaving Bayern Munich at the end of last season and Commisso also took a dig at Juve’s collossal spending power after the champions were held to a draw in the Artemio Franchi. “Juventus spend hundred of millions on players and we’ve spent hardly 50. We were supposed to lose today and instead we were better than them.”
Fiorentina have endured a difficult start to the season, losing to Napoli and Genoa, but Commisso is confident Saturday’s result will give them a boost as they seek a top-four finish in Serie A. “If you give me time, I want to win something here. Look at the last two months; we’ve broken our record for season tickets and built a team where there wasn’t one before. You’ll see us win a game at some point!”
Recommended in English
- NBA Ricky enjoying the present: "It's not a cliché, it's a lifestyle"
- NFL Chiefs record 12th successive win over Broncos
- NFL What happened with Ravens' failed two-point conversion against the Steelers in Week 13
- NFL Patrick Mahomes on what the Kansas City Chiefs need
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Casemiro in no doubt that Mbappé is compatible with Vinicius
- MANCHESTER UNITED Chris Armas: who is the US coach set to join Manchester United?