PSG want to reunite Griezmann and Diego Simeone
Thomas Tuchel has not done enough to impress PSG's owners, according to SportBild, and they want the Atlético Madrid manager to take over.
PSG’s surprise Champions League exit last season at the hands of Manchester United, coupled with the failure to defend both domestic cup titles, has left Thomas Tuchel’s stock rather flat at the Parc des Princes, where the feeling is that another change of coach will be necessary to bring the Champions League success that the Ligue 1 club crave.
Barring a run to the final this season, another Ligue 1 title may not be enough to convince PSG’s Qatari backers that Tuchel is the man to lead them to glory on the continental stage. The French side have sealed top spot in group A ahead of Real Madrid, which should provide a softer last 16 opponent, but PSG’s record in the knock-out stages over recent seasons does not lend itself to over-confidence: the Ligue 1 side have exited at the last-16 stage in each of the past three seasons and have never been beyond the quarter-finals.
PSG keen to bring Simeone and Griezmann to Paris
And according to reports in France, PSG’s owners see Diego Simeone as the coach to push to the club towards European glory. The Atlético Madrid manager has led the Liga side to two Champions League finals on considerably fewer resources and is seen in Paris as a guarantee of advancement on the continental front.
What remains to be decided though is what any potential replacement for Tuchel will have to work with. Neymar is unlikely to remain in Paris beyond the summer and Real Madrid are expected to make a serious attempt to lure Kylian Mbappé to the Spanish capital, despite the France international apparently pledging at least one more season to the Parisians. Edinson Cavani has not been offered a new contract and there are question marks over the future of Julian Draxler while free-scoring Mauro Icardi is on loan from Inter Milan. If anything, it’s now or never for PSG whether Tuchel, Simeone or any other coach is at the helm.
Meanwhile, reports in France suggest that PSG may have a carrot to dangle in front of Simeone: Antoine Griezmann. The former Atlético striker has failed to make much of an impact at Barcelona and PSG believe they can land the France striker for a reduced fee next summer, particularly if the Camp Nou board make another play for Neymar.
Te recomendamos en English
- CHILD TAX CREDIT Can Child Tax Credit payments affect my tax return in 2022?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Who is Laurel Hubbard? Meet the transgender athlete breaking barriers at the Tokyo Olympics
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: JuVaughn Harrison, Jennifer Gadirova | medal count, results, today 1 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK California Golden State stimulus check: when is the new payment coming?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 1 August