Chivas beat Atlas 2-1 in the 'Clásico Tapatío'
Atlas hosted Chivas in the latest edition of the Guadalajara derby, with the visiting team managing to obtain their third victory in a row.
Chivas and Atlas are currently in very different positions in this Clausura 2020. Both teams faced each other in week nine at the Jalisco Stadium for the latest edition of the ‘Clásico Tapatío’.
Chivas came into this game having won two games in a row, while Atlas, under new manager Rafael Puente Jr. had lost two consecutive matches. Unfortunately for the home team, Chivas came through as 2-1 winners with 10 men at the end of the 90 minutes on Saturday night.
The game started with Chivas taking the lead in the 19th minute thanks to an early goal from Jesús Molina. Chivas then suffered a blow when the referee gave Alexis Vega a red card in the 34th minute after VAR pulled him up for a harsh tackle.
Atlas failed to take advantage of the situation because four minutes later they had Martín Nervo sent off, leaving both teams with 10 players for the rest of the game.
Just before the first half ended, Isaác Brizuela scored Chivas' second goal to give the visiting team a 2-0 lead at half time.
At the beginning of the second half, Chivas were able to control the game and maintain possession of the ball, but in the 83rd minute, the referee awarded a penatly to the home side when Ignacio Jeraldino was tackled inside the box by Molina.
Mauricio Cuero converted the penalty to score the first goal of the game for Atlas, but the home side were unable to find an equaliser before the clock ran out. With this result, Chivas climb up to fifth place, while Atlas remain in 17th with six points.
Te recomendamos en English
- European Super League Juventus still keen on breakaway league as AC Milan withdraw
- BARCELONA Aguero places Messi clause on Barcelona move
- European Super League Atletico squad release European Super League statement
- EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE The dramatic rise and swift fall of Europe's Super League
- Murder of George Floyd What did Biden say about Chauvin's guilty verdict for murder of George Floyd
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check: will it be approved and sent in May?