Floyd Mayweather hints he 'might be interested' in buying Newcastle United
Floyd Mayweather Jr enjoyed playing to the crowd on Tyneside this weekend as he teased the possibility of buying Newcastle United from Mike Ashley.
Boxing icon Floyd Mayweather Jr has suggested that he might have an interest in buying Premier League club Newcastle United after appearing at an event in the North East at the weekend. Mayweather boasts a 50-0 record but has not fought since defeating UFC star Conor McGregor in August 2017, although the 43-year-old has hinted at a rematch this year.
The former five-weight world champion has reportedly made $1billion during his career, however, and cheekily entertained the idea of investing his wealth in the Magpies during a talk in Newcastle upon Tyne.
Newcastle fans at the end of their tether with Mike Ashley
Newcastle fans have been keen for a new owner on Tyneside since 2008 when current chief Mike Ashley caused outrage in a split with popular former manager Kevin Keegan. Ashley went on to rename the club's St James' Park stadium after his sports retail company, oversaw two relegations and made a number of unpopular appointments.
Given the hunger for Ashley to move on, and with talk of rival takeover interest fading, Mayweather played to the crowd. Asked if he was "very, very interested" in buying the club, he said: "In the US, we call it soccer, but the Newcastle football team is an unbelievable team, a hell of a team." The American added to cheers: "If the people want me to buy the Newcastle team, let me know."
TMZ reported Mayweather had an interest in purchasing a stake in Newcastle, although no negotiations had taken place.
Newcastle are 13th in the Premier League, eight points clear of the bottom three after beating Southampton on Saturday, and will play holders Manchester City in the FA Cup quarter-finals later in March.
Te recomendamos en English
- JUVENTUS Juventus player Arthur Melo involved in car crash
- OLYMPICS Team USA will require vaccinations for Winter Olympics hopefuls
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano: what will happen when the lava reaches the Atlantic Ocean?
- CHILD TAX CREDIT Why have some parents not received the Child Tax Credit payment; how to claim it?
- Leagues Cup Final Seattle Sounders vs. Club León live updates: scores, stats, and updates | Leagues Cup Final
- Towns stunned after Timberwolves fire president of basketball ops