Rafa Nadal "very pessimistic" about tennis return to play
Rafael Nadal is not optimistic about playing again soon due to the COVID-19 crisis.
Tennis world number two Rafael Nadal has admitted to being "very pessimistic" about tennis returning amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The ATP Tour has been suspended until at least July 13 due to the COVID-19 crisis, which has killed more than 206,990 people globally.
Nadal – who reached the Australian Open quarter-finals this year – last took to the court when he won the Mexican Open in February and the 19-time grand slam champion is not optimistic about playing again soon.
Estoy desbordado con el trabajo en casa ... Más fácil sería estar en el torneo de Monte Carlo (que tocaba esta semana) entrenando 3 horas de tenis Pero por ahora es lo que toca y con buena cara! Después pongo una foto del resultado... ¡¡Y lo dicho, a animarse !! #yomequedoencasa #iorestoacasa #istayhome #jerestechezmoi
Sad moments: Nadal on coronavirus crisis
"From my point of view, I'm very pessimistic that the circuit can resume a normal activity," Nadal said in a virtual chat via the Royal Spanish Tennis Federation (RFET).
"In tennis, you need to travel every week, stay in hotels, go to different countries. Even if we play without an audience, to organise any event you need a lot of people involved, which cannot be ignored. At an international level I see a serious problem."
Nadal, 33, added: "We have had a very tough month and a half, with many irreparable losses as well as others that are less important that will still bring great suffering to society, I hope only for a few months, at the economic level.
"Many people are going to lose their jobs. These are sad moments when you see so many people dying."
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Are the third stimulus checks included in 2021 IRS tax filing?
- MANCHESTER UNITED Solskjaer keeping 'fingers crossed' that Cavani stays at Man Utd
- USMNT Weston McKennie scores after facing fine for covid-19 breach
- CORONAVIRUS VACCINE Fastest US states to administer covid-19 vaccines
- US NEWS Covid-19 and vaccine in the US live updates: rate, where and when to get it, eligibility
- US NEWS Third stimulus check live updates: is a fourth payment coming, expected dates, plus-up payments, tracker