Zidane has a problem with Mariano
Despite knowing that Zidane won't include him in his plans for the 2020-21 season, Mariano is reluctant to leave the Santiago Bernabéu to get game time.
Mariano Díaz is not in Zinedine Zidane's plans at Real Madrid, but remains in the squad having rejected a move to Benfica in recent days. The two club's had reached an agreement for the move, however the 27-year-old rejected the Portuguese side's offer. The offer on the table was 2.5 million euros per year, Mariano requested 5 million euros. He currently earns 4.5 million euros and Madrid see him as part of 'Operation exit'.
Brahim Diaz has joined AC Milan on loan, while James Rodríguez and Oscar Rodríguez moved to Everton to Sevilla on permanent deals. Those transfers came after Achraf Hakimi's move to Inter for 40 million euros plus five million in add-ons, and Javi Sanchez joined Real Valladolid for 3.5 million euros.
Goal in el Clásico
Whether former Lyon player Mariano finds a way out of the Spanish capital for the new season remains to be seen. Zidane has Karim Benzema and Luka Jovic as his top two strikers. Last season Benzema played the lone striker role, meaning Jovic didn't receive the minutes he may have expected, having joined for 60 million euros. Mariano barely played seven games, scoring just once all season, in Madrid's 2-0 Clásico win on March 1.
Down the pecking order
With Benzema, Jovic, and Erling Braut Haaland earmarked as one for the future, Zidane remains perplexed as to why Mariano hasn't made the switch to another club.
Te recomendamos en English
- BOXING Woodley gets ‘I love Jake Paul’ tattoo, wants rematch
- US NEWS What is the meaning of racketeering? How long is a racketeering charge sentence?
- Porter agrees to max extension with Nuggets
- SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS What qualifies a child for social security benefits?
- NBA Philadelphia 76ers Morey says there is 'hope' for reconciliation with Ben Simmons
- MLB Yankees move ahead as the AL Wild Card chase enters final furlong