Real Madrid: Odriozola injury leaves Zidane without right-backs
24 hours after Dani Carvajal was ruled out, Real Madrid have revealed that Álvaro Odriozola has also been sidelined by injury.
Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane has been left without either of his recognised right-backs after it was confirmed that Álvaro Odriozola has suffered a muscle injury.
“Following the tests carried out today on our player Álvaro Odriozola by the Real Madrid medical department, he has been diagnosed with an injury to the calf muscle in his left leg,” Los Blancos said in a statement on Saturday. “His recovery will continue to be assessed.”
Odriozola follows Carvajal into Real Madrid sickbay
The injury to Odriozola, which occurred in training on Friday, comes after fellow right-back Dani Carvajal was ruled out for up to two months with knee-ligament damage suffered in the same session.
Although Madrid’s statement does not specify how long Odriozola is expected to be sidelined for, it is thought he will be out of action for a week to 10 days.
Having returned to the club this summer after a loan spell at Bayern Munich, Odriozola made his first appearance of the season in Madrid’s 1-0 LaLiga win over Real Valladolid on Wednesday.
Nacho, Lucas or Mendy set to fill in at right-back
Zidane will be forced to improvise at right-back when Madrid face Levante in the Spanish top flight on Sunday, with utility man Nacho Fernández or winger Lucas Vázquez chief candidates to be drafted into the role.
Left-back Ferland Mendy could also be used in the position, having already played there as a second-half substitute in Real Madrid’s 3-1 LaLiga win over Eibar in June.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: Child Tax Credit extension to 2025, new payment in California, unemployment benefits...
- Stimulus Checks Second $600 Golden State stimulus check: when will I receive it and how to track
- US NEWS California stimulus check: when will the payments arrive and who qualifies?
- PSG Lionel Messi's PSG contract details revealed
- Soccer Pele in hospital: daughter says he's recovering well
- MLB MLB results: Los Angeles Dodgers beaten by Cincinnati Reds