Ronaldo speaks from quarantine: "I didn't break protocol"
Cristiano Ronaldo shared an Instragram live video to address claims that he broke protocol when he flew back to Italy from Portugal following his coronavirus diagnosis.
Currently in quarantine in his Turin home, the Juventus superstar shared an Instagram live video in which he also addressed claims that he had broken coronavirus protocol by flying back to Italy from Portugal after his coronavirus diagnosis.
“It’s a lie,” said Ronaldo in response to Italy's Minister of Sports, Vincenzo Spadafora, who on Thursday claimed that the 35-year-old player had not respected protocol, nor been given permission by health authorities to fly to Turin.
“I’m always at home, now I’m sunbathing, also to let the days pass. I’m respecting the protocol, I did not break it, as has been said: It’s a lie,” said Ronaldo.
“I returned from Portugal because my team and I made sure to comply with all the procedures. I returned to Italy by air ambulance and I have had no contact with anyone, even in Turin."
Ronaldo tells fans: “Don’t worry about me”
The Portuguese star began the Instagram live video in English, confirming that he is currently isolated from his family, who are staying on another floor of their luxury Turin home.
“Don’t you worry about me. I just came to say thank you. And I hope soon I’m getting ready to train, to play, to enjoy the life,” he said, before switching to his native Portuguese for the remaining majority of the video.
Spadafora blasts Ronaldo for being "arrogant”
Meanwhile, sports minister Spadafora backed up his Thursday comments, criticising Ronaldo for being “arrogant” and “disrespectful” after his decision to return to Italy with coronavirus without authorization.
“The skills of a certain player don’t authorise them to be arrogant, disrespectful to the institutions and to lie,” Spadafora said to news agency ANSA (via Football Italia) on Friday.
“Indeed, the more one is known, the more one should feel the responsibility to think before one speaks and to set a good example.
“I have no intention of continuing indefinitely on this issue. I confirm what I said yesterday regarding the abandonment of the hotel by some Juventus players, based among other things on the club’s communications to the Turin ASL.
“I will not intervene more on the topic and I renew my wishes for a speedy recovery to all who have tested positive."
Te recomendamos en English
- SUPER LEAGUE Tebas dismisses court ruling asking UEFA to revoke action against Super League trio
- NBA Draft 2021 NBA draft 2021: which players have been selected by each team and main transfers?
- OLYMPICS Thompson-Herah wins women's 100m title and beats Fraser-Pryce
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo 2020: Why is LeBron James not playing at the Olympic Games?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER Tokyo Olympics: Spain's late escape, as Brazil line up Mexico
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics: Team USA into quarters as Durant and Tatum star
- GOLD CUP USA vs Mexico: times, TV and how to watch online
- OLYMPIC GAMES | WRESTLING What types of wrestling are at the Olympics? Differences, rules, format and score system