Sergio García to miss Augusta Masters due to positive covid-19 test
The 2017 champion will miss out on trying for another green jacket after testing positive for the novel coronavirus, bringing his run of 84 to an end.
Since he was 19 years of age, Sergio Garcia has played in 84 consecutive majors. But the former Masters champion's run that dates back to 1999 has pulled out of this week's major tournament after testing positive for covid-19, he announced on Monday.
Covid-19 rules Garcia out of Masters
Garcia said he began experiencing a sore throat and a cough on Saturday while he was driving back from the Houston Open, where he missed the cut, and got tested on Sunday.
"After 21 years of not missing a Major Championship, I will sadly miss @themasters this week," the 40-year-old Spaniard wrote on Twitter.
Después de 21 años sin perderme ningún Major, desafortunadamente me perderé @themasters esta semana. Lo importante es que mi familia y yo nos encontramos bien. Volveremos más fuertes que antes y el próximo Abril intentaremos conseguir la segunda Chaqueta Verde 👊🏼 pic.twitter.com/Ukn5XMWnTT— Sergio Garcia (@TheSergioGarcia) November 9, 2020
"The important thing is that my family and I are feeling good. We'll come back stronger and give the green jacket a go next April."
The 11-time PGA Tour winner said his wife tested negative for the novel coronavirus, which has infected more than 10 million people in the United States, the country with the highest known number of covid-19 cases.
The Masters was postponed from April to November due to the pandemic, which hit the professional sports calendar and forced the PGA Tour into hiatus for several weeks.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: when will Senate vote on it? | Will it arrive in March & IRS tax return | Live
- 2030 WORLD CUP Johnson backs UK bid for 2030 World Cup, offers stadiums for Euro 2020
- SERIE A The things that Georgina prohibits Cristiano from doing at home
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN ACT OF 2021 Third stimulus check: when is it coming in March?
- BARCELONA FC Barcelona cleared from Barçagate, Bartomeu provisionally released
- NBA NBA: Harden triple-double leads Nets to win, Zion stuns Jazz