Atlético: Luis Suárez, tests positive for coronavirus and will miss the Barcelona game
The Uruguayan Federation confirmed that the striker and two others have tested positive. Suárez will miss the Brazil game and Saturday's visit from Barça.
Bad news for Atlético Madrid. Luis Suárez has tested positive for coronavirus. The news was confirmed by the Uruguayan Football Federation in a statement on social media this evening. Also infected are Cerro Porteño goalkeeper Rodrigo Múñoz and press officer Matías Faral. Diario AS understands that the Atleti striker is fine and not suffering any symptoms.
📄 Comunicado de la Asociación Uruguaya de Fútbol - 16/11/2020 pic.twitter.com/IDbS7JZ7NF— AUF (@AUFOficial) November 16, 2020
Suárez to miss weekend clash against his old club
The three positive tests came just 24 hours before Uruguay play their fourth 2022 Qatar World Cup qualifier against Brazil in Montevideo. Suárez will now miss that match and will also be unable to take part in Atlético's league clash against his former club Barcelona on Saturday.
The news comes just one day after it was confirmed that Palmeiras left-back Matías Viña also tested positive for the virus, which suggests that more cases could emerge over the next few hours. In total, four members of the Uruguayan party have been discovered to have caught coronavirus.
Recommended in English
- LIGA MX Atlas to face Pumas UNAM in the semi-final
- PRIMEIRA LIGA Covid-hit Belenenses SAD hammered by Benfica in forfeited game
- JUVENTUS Juventus confirm police probe into Serie A club's transfer dealings
- SOCCER Which players have won the most Ballons d'Or?
- BALLON D'OR When did Cristiano Ronaldo win his Ballon d'Or awards? Seasons and stats
- BALLO D'OR When did Messi win all of his Ballon d'Or awards? Seasons and stats